Thursday, February 26, 2015

Friday, October 21st, 2011

     I woke up this morning, not knowing what day it was. Graham was beside me, as usual. The only reason I woke up as myself was because I had to turn off my alarm clock, and instead of grabbing it, I grabbed Daniel’s coin. I hid it before Graham woke up and had a chance to see it, but I know I didn’t put it there. I would never remove it from my coat pocket. I can only assume she saw the coin while she was in control and it didn’t bring me back! Maybe it did this morning because I just woke up and was vulnerable. Or maybe she’s just playing with me? What is apparent to me is I can no longer count on Daniel’s coin and items from home to keep me present.
     How long I have to write this entry into my diary is unknown. I probably shouldn’t

     I know I stepped away because Henry needed something. I know it wasn’t to drive him to school, as he walks now. There’s no telling now who will be behind the wheel, and Henry values his life too much.
     The fact that I am presently in control would be surprising, except I believe she’s sending me another message. When I came to, I was standing in my room. On the floor in front of me, all of the pages from the book of riddles had been ripped out. Why would I need a help manual if I won’t be in charge, anymore? All the pages were torn in half, save one with a picture of a candle on it.
     Despite her attempts at telling me I have no control over myself, I have discovered that I remain myself when writing in this diary. I wondered if just having the diary with me would be effective, and decided to test this. Shortly after coming to, the click of the front door let me know Henry was home. I grabbed my diary and took a good look at it. It’s a very ornate book: black leather cover with large jewels encrusted into it. The last thing I needed was for Henry to think this was something he needed to investigate. I couldn’t just slap a sticker over it that said “Planner” on it, but I hoped that he might ignore it if I didn’t make a big deal about it. I grabbed a blanket off my bed, wrapped it around myself and held the diary in my blanket-covered hands. Of course, if my plan didn’t work and I couldn’t control myself around Henry, my son might be witness to my possessed body putting on another book-shredding show. I held the book close to my chest and made my way to Henry’s door.
     “Don’t come in.” Henry’s voice sounded muffled on my side of the door.
     “I just wanted to talk.” So far, I was still me. “How are you?”
     “I’m fine.”
     “How was school?”
     “Fine.”
     “May I come in now?”
     “Why?”
     “I’d like to see who I’m talking with. Make sure it’s my son and not an imposter.”
     The door opened for me. I caught the end of Henry’s sigh before he went back to his desk and faced his computer. I came in and sat on the edge of his bed.
     “What are you working on?”
     “Homework.” The slightly higher tone of his voice, combined with the speed in which he said it was homework, suggested it wasn’t actually homework. Not from school, anyway. “What book is that?”
     “Just something Dr. Hopper suggested.” I held it closer to me. “A self-help book.”
     Henry seemed satisfied with that answer and went back to his computer. I looked around at all of the items that filled his room. Each drawing of a dragon, every book, every article of clothing, was a piece in the story of his life here with me. I was drawn to something on his bed. I reached out for it, but was careful to hold my diary close to me.
     “I can’t believe you still have this blanket.” I pulled it around to my lap and felt the soft fabric through my fingers.
     “It’s the only thing I have of my mom’s.” His words were meant to hurt me, and it worked. The blanket almost fell from my hand, but I held on.
     “Your birth-mother, yes.” I wasn’t here to start an argument. “I remember when I first got you. You were wrapped in it when they gave you to me in Arizona.”
     Henry perked up at this. I’d never told him where I got him from.
     “Where in Arizona?” He turned from his screen to look at me.
     “Phoenix.” Having served its purpose, I set the blanket down. “It’s hard to believe sometimes that it’s almost been eleven years since I brought you all the way home. Before you know it, I’m sure you’ll be out of this house.” I got up to leave, but turned around to face him before I left. “I’m going to order pizza tonight.”
     “Okay.” His smile and raised eyebrows were urging me out the door. I’d placed a gem in my son’s hand, and it was now up to him to decide what to do with it.
     As for me, my experiment seemed to have worked. I made it downstairs with my diary as myself. Not to mention, I’ve been able to write all of this without so much as a dizzy spell. I suppose I should have tried this a while ago, but I always assumed I was safe with Daniel’s coin, at least. Besides, it would be far too great a risk if this diary came into the wrong hands. That already happened once with that doctor, I couldn’t imagine what would happen if a townsperson got a hold of it.
     The pizza came quickly, and I called up to Henry to get his own slice. Too many objects in my hands might cause me to drop one, after all.
     “Mom! I forgot to ask you!” Henry bolted downstairs and zoomed into the kitchen. This was the most energetic I’d seen him in months.
     “Ask me what?” I bit into a particularly cheesy bite. I gave him the most focused look I could to him while trying to finish the string of mozzarella hanging between my slice and my teeth.
     “Billy—a friend of mine—from school—“ he built his story, “Billy has a thing he wants me to go to with him tomorrow, and it’s an all-day thing.”
     “What kind of thing?”
     “It’s an event—at the park—a soccer game.” He grabbed a plate and lifted the lid to the pizza box, plopped a slice onto his plate and grabbed at least seven napkins.
     “I’m not sure. It’s been very rainy, this month.”
     “That’s why it’s an all-day thing.”    
     “What is Billy doing?”
     “Playing the drums.” Henry wasn’t paying attention to his story. He was looking at my diary; a ruby had caught the lamplight.
     “At the soccer game?”
     “Uh…” Henry came to and realized his mistake. “Yeah, he’s in the band. It’s a big game—the last game! I should really be there—for Billy.”
     “I think you should, too.”
     “Really?” The surprise in his voice at my agreement spurred him on. “Well, since it lasts the whole day, Billy invited me to stay over. Can I, please?”
     “Is Billy’s mom okay with it?” I knew there was no Billy, or Billy’s mom.
     “Oh, yes!”
     “Then I see no reason why not. I trust you enough to behave at someone else’s house. Just come back early on Sunday.”
     “Thanks, mom!” Henry ran back upstairs with his pizza.
     “Take a jacket,” I shouted up to him, “and a sweater!”
     “Okay!”
     Depending on whether or not I get to say goodbye to him tomorrow morning, that may have been the last time I see Henry. But I can’t cry. I have to stay focused. If I’m right, and successful, I may conquer this cursed persona and get my son back! He’s better off not being here for that, especially if I’m wrong. But it’s still best for me to be alone.
     And that means completely alone. There was a knock on my window as I was fighting going to sleep. My grip tightened around my diary, and I got off my bed to open the window for Graham.
     “You can’t come in tonight.” I caught him with his leg in mid-raise to swing over my window sill.
     “Why not?”
     “I’m going to take a night for myself.”
     “What book is that?” He nodded to my diary.
     “It’s just something I’m reading.” I raised a hand to close my window. “Now go sheriff, or something. This town needs you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment