Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Tuesday, October 25th, 1983


     Graham, my huntsman’s name here, told me I should go to the hospital to check for any more serious injuries. I decided I was fine and had him drive me home once we were done at the sheriff’s station. But this morning I woke up aching everywhere. Graham arrived in the morning to check on me and drove me to Storybrooke General Hospital.
     My attacker got away, but I know he can’t run far. The three men I mentioned in my last passage all make the most sense, but each one raises questions. First, anyone other than me retaining their memories from our home is a threat that needs to be contained. Charming would be the worst. I can just imagine him trying to bring back everyone’s memories with speeches about love and then finding a weapon for everyone. I don’t think it would work without the “savior” breaking the curse, so it might not be as bad as that. But he may try to usurp my authority.
     Jefferson is a likely candidate. He certainly has motive after I stranded him in Wonderland. But how was he able to come to Storybrooke from Wonderland? As far as I’m aware, my curse only spread across my land. But then, that’s why I had that pirate kill my mother while she was still in Wonderland, herself. She would have found a way to come here even if the curse didn’t reach that far. Was Jefferson able to come back to the forest in time and I didn’t know about it? The curse may have spread further than I realized.
     I told Rumpelstiltskin that Belle was dead, but it’s possible he could have found out I was keeping her. Back home he cared about his power more than her, or else my trick would have worked. But here, where there is no magic, would that matter to him?
     My visit to the hospital was illuminating. Graham had left me there so he could find my attacker. I didn’t have to wait long to see Dr. Whale, though I must say I was surprised to see him. If Doctor Frankenstein could be the head surgeon of Storybrooke General, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jefferson here after all. The doctor was accompanied by a pretty young nurse with a clipboard.
     “I really wish you’d come sooner than this.” He held a shiny tube up to my eyes while I sat on his table. A light brighter than any candle flame burst forth, practically blinding me. “Have you been dizzy? The sheriff told me what happened. Did you hit your head?”
     “No. I don’t think so.”
     He checked me over and said I was lucky that nothing worse had happened to me than scrapes and bruising. He took the clipboard and jotted some notes down before handing it back to the nurse and excusing her. His gaze fell onto the nurse’s skirt as she left before he turned back to me.
     “I’m glad you’re here, actually.” His air was much more pleasant in this life. He certainly smiled more. “We were scheduled to meet in a few weeks to discuss upcoming events for the hospital, but I was hoping you and I could discuss the issues before then.” He moved in closer than was necessary for a doctor to speak with a patient. “We could brainstorm ideas over drinks? I’d like to start a volunteer program. Maybe you could volunteer?”
     “I think a program like that is a great idea.” I inched away from him and off the table. “My schedule is already so busy as mayor, however, that I don’t think I’ll have time for volunteering, let alone drinks. We’ll meet in public as arranged and announce your program. I’m sure a gentleman with your reputation will have no problem finding volunteers.”
     His smile let me know he understood me. And with that, his examination was over.
     After that, I stopped in the cafeteria for lunch. I’d only eaten about half of my bland food when a nurse approached me. She was paler than the rest of the staff here, as though she didn’t see the sun often. Her hair and face were done up more sternly than the rest of them as well. Her smile at me did nothing to soften her features. I can’t say that I immediately recognized her.
     “I didn’t expect to see you here at this time of day.” She said.
     “I had to come in for a check-up.”
     “Would you like to check up on her?”
     I had to get used to everyone knowing more about me than I did.
     “Of course.” I smiled back at her. No one paid us any attention as we left the cafeteria, or when we made our way down below the main floor of the hospital to a darker area called the mental care ward. It reminded me more of a dungeon as the nurse led me down a row of cells and finally stopped me at one door. She pulled a key from the pocket of her stiff uniform and used it to open the door. I was reluctant to go inside with her, but she looked back at me and smiled.
     “She’s a lot more docile now.” She said encouragingly. “The medication we have her on doesn’t allow her to want to do much.”
     I walked into the cell. There wasn’t much in the way of furniture. A single bed sat against the wall. Next to the only window sat a single woman. She hardly lifted her head to look at me.
     Belle.
     “How long has she been here now?” I knew I was smiling. My giddiness couldn’t be suppressed.
     “It’s probably been a year now since you found her in your house with a gun.” She folded her arms and sounded as though she was reminiscing. “This is really the best place for her. Even her father knew it. Sensitive creatures like her can be swayed to do the wrong thing. But now she can’t get to anyone and no one can get to her.”
     It was a great way to end a day at the hospital. Graham picked me up about an hour later. Still no word on my attacker, but we did agree that he would teach me how to drive tomorrow. Having Graham drive me around is certainly nice, but I need to be able to get around and do some investigating of my own. 





No comments:

Post a Comment