Monday, January 20, 2014

Thursday, March 11th, 2004

     I guess I fell asleep. At least I knew that Henry was sleeping and while he wasn’t getting better, he wasn’t getting worse. I remembered pulling a chair up beside his little bed and everything getting very calm and quiet for what felt like only a few minutes. But I was startled awake when Kathryn placed a hand on my shoulder.
     “It’s just me!” Kathryn reacted as quietly as she could to my gasp. “Everything’s fine! Henry’s fine. See?”
     Henry breathed easily in his medicated sleep.
     “I’m so scared, Kathryn.” Five seconds awake, and already I was crying. “I worked so hard to have him and now I could lose him. No one knows how to help him and it’s my fault he’s sick.”
     “Hey, hey, no.” She went in for the hug. “It isn’t your fault. Sometimes children get sick.” The hug continued until I calmed down. “I’ve got some good news.” Kathryn pulled back and reached into her purse. “I was looking online last night to see if I could figure out what Henry had, but no one on the internet’s heard of waking fever. But…” She pulled out some printed pages. “I found a doctor who works all over the world. Some call him Dr. Miracle because he goes wherever there’s great disease and cures as many people as he can.”
     I was too tired and upset to make a sarcastic remark. Instead, I looked at the pages Kathryn handed me. A black and white picture of a man with dark hair and strong features looked back at me with large, dark eyes. The headline read, “Dr. Miracle Stops Another Polio Outbreak”.
     “I emailed him about Henry’s symptoms, but then I felt silly.” Kathryn laughed. “Why would such an amazing doctor write back to me? But, Regina, he did! Almost right away! He wants to come and help Henry!”
     I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. While the medical knowledge in this world is superior to the knowledge back home, I’m still suspicious of anyone who is touted as able to perform miracles. One doctor was introduced to me that way before, and he’s currently sedated in the room next to my son’s.
     “He’s actually on his way to Boston for a symposium!” Kathryn’s instinct to jump with excitement was repressed to a bounce out of respect for the circumstances. “He’s willing to fly out early to help out here! All you have to do is pick him up.”
     “No!” I knew how this would turn out. “If he’s able to help my son, I’m grateful, but I’m not leaving Henry. I have to stay here. What if—?” There came the tears. I would not leave him. Too many people have left their children, and for what? Jefferson left his daughter, Snow and Charming gave up their child and all of them are cursed. Even Henry’s real mother gave him up, and I hope she suffers daily. But I would not abandon my son.
     “Is there someone you could send on your behalf? All he needs is for someone to bring him here.”
     “No one can get him—“ Then I remembered someone I could use; someone else who had abandoned their child.
     “Watch my son, please. I just thought of someone and need to make arrangements. I’ll only be a couple of hours. Call me if anything changes. You’ll call me, won’t you?”
     “Of course.”
     I drove back to my safe haven and used the last of my gifts, all the while thinking of a back story. Soon I was back to the hospital, only this time I went to the lower level. There’s a different smell down in that part of the hospital. It still has the smell of cleanliness, but with a burning smell of stronger, older cleaning agents. The nurse behind the desk wished Henry well before I walked into the room next to Belle’s. Kurt slept soundly as all of the machinery that monitored him flashed and beeped. I uncorked the little glass bottle in my hand and poured its contents into his IV drip. The fluid turned purple before becoming clear again. I waited only a minute before Kurt’s eyes began to flutter. He took a deep breath and looked at me.
     “Mayor Mills?” The monitors behind him beeped faster.
     “Good evening, Mr. Campbell.” I smiled as he acknowledged this name. “I heard you might be finally waking up. I’ll alert the nurse. Are you feeling well?”
     He nodded slowly. “What happened?”
     “You were in a car accident. I’m not surprised you don’t remember. Your car was totaled, and the doctors were able to save you. They did a good job. It looks as though you don’t have any scars. But you were out for quite a while. Is there anyone you want me to call? Any family?”
     “I don’t have any family.”
     “Well, I’ll call your boss, Mr. Spencer.” I pulled out my phone. No calls from Kathryn. “He’ll be pleased to know his best lawyer is finally awake.”
     Albert came as soon as I called and accepted immediately that Mr. Campbell had always worked for his firm. Mr. Campbell was found to be in perfect health and released immediately. The two lawyers followed me to Henry’s room. Kathryn showed them the papers, and no one found it odd when I suggested a man who had only been released from the hospital minutes ago drive down to Boston to get this miracle doctor.
     “We’ll get you into some proper clothes first.” Albert assured his associate. “The ones you’re wearing make you look more like a lumberjack than a lawyer.”
     “Fine,” Mr. Campbell agreed, “but can I get some food first? I feel like I haven’t eaten in twenty years.”
     “Here, have this.” I handed him an apple from my tree. I always keep one on me just in case. “Until you can find something more substantial.”
     Mr. Campbell thanked me by taking the apple and taking a large bite. The two gentlemen left and Mr. Campbell promised he’d be on the road within the hour. As soon as he crossed the town line, Mr. Campbell would remain Mr. Campbell and Kurt would be no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment