Sunday, November 24, 2013

Saturday, February 14th, 1998

     It’s been fifteen years since I enacted the curse. Coincidentally, everyone else thinks it’s the 200th anniversary of the founding of the town. Today was also Valentine’s Day, so the town has decided to do a month-long celebration dubbed, “We Love Storybrooke”. I’m not joking.
     Two good things have happened today. The first occurred this morning when I was flipping through the book of riddles. Inside was a spell for giving someone who isn’t a resident of Storybrooke a cursed persona. This is perfect in case the Savior actually does show up. All I have to do is cast a spell as soon as she arrives and problem solved.
     Kathryn begged me to go out with her tonight. We went to the Rabbit Hole to enjoy karaoke night. Actually, we weren’t enjoying it as much as enduring it. She sat and stared at the stage, wringing her hands as she waited for her turn. Ahead of her, Dr. Whale was giving everything he had to a rock ballad that asked why no one loved him. Thank goodness he makes his living saving lives. At least I knew better than to volunteer.
     The doctor left the stage as soon as the music ended and Kathryn went up. She started out slower than her upbeat song, but once she sped up she was actually pleasant to hear. I looked around and saw a few people enjoying the song. Then I saw someone I hadn’t seen in a while. I forgot that Ashley worked here, among her other jobs. She was removing her apron and it looked like her shift may have been over for the night, but that wasn’t what caught my attention.
     She was pregnant! Granted, it’s been a while since I’ve seen Ashley. We don’t exactly run in the same circles, but in the days when I used to go to Vivian’s house, I didn’t remember Ashley’s stomach sticking out so much. I vaguely remember some things Vivian would say that suggested she knew about her stepdaughter’s condition. I also remember something she told me as we studied the curse: you keep what you brought over. For Vivian, it was her cancer, but for Ashley it obviously was her child. I think I remember hearing that she was expecting back home. Her pregnancy will not be stopped by the curse as it is for the rest of the women here. Ashley’s going to have her baby and I want it.
     Her baby would be the perfect baby to have. I won’t have to worry about the child turning on me, since the child will be born without a cursed persona. And judging by her size, it might not be long before she gives birth.
     When Kathryn finished her song, I made some excuse about having to attend an early meeting and followed Ashley out the door. She made a stop at Mr. Clark’s. There, in the dental aisle, I pretended to be shopping too.
     “Hello, Ashley!” What a coincidence to see her there. “How have you been? You look well.”
     Ashley jumped. I don’t think she’s used to people acknowledging her presence.
     “Thank you, Mayor Mills. It’s nice to see you.”
     “How far along are you?”
     “About seven months, according to the doctor, but I think he’ll come later.”
     “It’s a boy?” I followed her to the register with a brand of toothpaste I didn’t use. “Congratulations.”
     “No need to congratulate me.” Ashley pulled out her change and paid for her goods. “I’m giving him up for adoption.”
     “Have you thought about doing a private adoption and choosing the parent, yourself?”
     “He’s already been chosen.” She waited for me as Mr. Clark counted back my change. “It’s Mr. Gold.”
     I managed to successfully put the change in my purse without flinching. His was the one name I didn’t want her to say. But I knew I still had a chance. I offered to walk her home, assuring her it was our job as women to look out for each other.
     “How many jobs are you working, Ashley?” I pulled my coat closer around my neck. Frost came from our mouths as we exhaled.
     “Three.” Her steps were heavy, as though she’d worked all of them today.
     “Is Mr. Gold your boss for all of them?” I offered a hand to hold her bag for her.
     “Yes.” She nodded her thanks and handed me the bag.
     “How is he treating you?”
     “Well, he’s paying for the doctor visits and all of that.”
     “What happens when the baby’s born?”
     “I get a fresh start…”
     “Will you still be working for Mr. Gold?”
     “I guess so.”
     “That’ll be hard, won’t it? To work for the man you’re giving up your child to? To see your child every day, growing up before your eyes, and him never knowing who you are?” We stopped at the gate to her stepsister’s house and I handed her back her bag. “I assume Mr. Gold made you sign something promising to never reveal your identity to your son?”
     Ashley nodded her head and the tears dripped down. I almost had her.
     “What if you gave your baby to me?” I leaned in. “I can do things for you that Mr. Gold can’t do.”
     “Like what?”
     “How would you like to go to college? How about starting a new life in a big city like Boston or New York? I can help you and you’ll be able to get on with your life with the knowledge that your baby is being raised by a family friend.”
     Ashley looked around to make sure no one was listening before leaning in. “I would rather you raise my baby than Mr. Gold,” she whispered. “My mom really liked you. But I’m afraid to break my agreement with him.  Even if you helped me leave, I don’t know what he’d do to my family.”
     I don’t know why she would look out for them, but I pretended to care.
     “Let me talk to him and see what I can do.”
     This energized Ashley. She actually thanked me before going in her house, not knowing that if I win, she’ll be her miserable, cursed self for the rest of her life. Her baby is as good as mine. All I have to do is convince Mr. Gold to null his contract with her, and I have no idea how I’m supposed to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment